Servoca Resourcing Solutions are in search of a Coroner’s Officer to work for West Yorkshire Police on a temporary contract basis.
To deliver an effective and efficient Coronial service and in doing so, to provide an essential liaison between HM Coroner, relatives of the deceased and other agencies involved in dealing with sudden, violent or unnatural deaths.
Key Responsibilities – Please note this list is not exhaustive:
- Receive record and process reports of deaths after assessing and ensuring that they fall within the jurisdiction of HM Coroner and complete organ donation requests. At the request of the Duty SIO, and in conjunction with internal and external customers, attend the scene of death to investigate the circumstances, arrange identification of the deceased and maintain continuity throughout the investigation
- Organise post mortems, make requests for toxicology, human tissue retention and disposal, and transfer of the deceased in a timely manner to prevent delays to enquiries and funeral procedures. At the request of the Duty SIO, attend post mortems in person to enable a full briefing to HM Coroner on the circumstances.
- Initiate contact with the next of kin, relevant medical practitioners and other agencies/organisations in order to provide a full and comprehensive summary of each death to enable HM Coroner to discharge their duties. Obtain statements and relevant documentation from witnesses, relatives and other interested parties in order to prepare and present reports for Coronial procedures, identifying and resolving, where possible, any discrepancies, ensuring accuracy in documentation.
- When there are no alternative arrangements, supervise all aspects of Coroner’s Court; including dealing with witnesses, jurors and relatives to ensure it runs efficiently and effectively; the aim being to ensure that Coronial Court procedures are met.
- Assist/prepare in the timely completion of case files for Inquests held by HM Coroner, where appropriate attending Court in your professional capacity as a Coroner’s Officer.
- Has experience of working successfully in an environment requiring sensitivity, tact and diplomacy.
- Can demonstrate an understanding of the responsibilities of the Office of HM Coroner, its jurisdiction, relevant aspects of the Human Tissue Act and the Human Rights Act
- Previous experience of working in a similar public service environment.
- Can demonstrate experience in the preparation of detailed files or reports
- Has a detailed knowledge of the Criminal Justice System and Coroners Act
Pay Rate: £13.90 PAYE/£17.12 UMBRELLA
Contract Length: 3 months
If you are interested in the role please send through an updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or click below to apply.
Servoca Resourcing Solutions is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy. We are an equal opportunity employer with a diverse workforce. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and specialise in police recruitment skills related roles